Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 6: Mission Missoula

Bike Distance Avg Speed Total Ascent Saddle Time Calories
77.39 miles 15.82 mph 1397 ft 04:53:13 4777 cal

Route Change :

Change 1: So last night I was looking at my route (Shalkaho Pass) from Hamilton, MT to Philipsburg, MT. I knew it was quite remote and very steep but I didn't know it had a 25 mile stretch of loose gravel. After my 3 mile ride over gravel to Holland Lake I knew I had to go to my backup plan. So, instead of Hamilton to Philipsburg to Butte to Alder I will now be doing Hamilton to Wisdom to Dillon to Alder. I be adding 25 more miles and will still have the nasty climb but it will be on pavement which makes a big difference as this day will be challenging enough. Thanks to Swatz for securing me a room at Pioneer Mountain Lodge in Wisdom as there aren't any campgrounds near there. I will then stay at a KOA in Dillion. In the end I am a little disappointed as Shalkaho Pass looked really scenic but I think this is the smarter choice.

Change 2: After some considerable thought I decided to take the advice of my Quebec friends and ending my tour in Jackson Hole. I am scheduled to travel to Thayne, WY on the 16th but I will travel to Jackson Hole instead. I will rent a small SUV and then drive to Salt Lake and spend the night. I will then put my bike and trailer on the train at 3am and catch then catch my flight to Chicago and few hours later. Fortunately both Southwest and Amtrak will allow me to change my travel dates. The sole reason for riding to Salt Lake in the first place was because the train station was there and I had to ship my bike. For some reason I never considered the rental car approach. Duh! It is cheaper too!

Early morning planning:

I woke from sleep around 7:30am and started packing up my stuff. I loaded my bike (which was left outside), checked out, got some free coffee and sat on the sofa to wait for breakfast to start (8:30). While waiting I continued planning my route changes. Using a combination of Google maps and bike route toaster I managed to figure out daily distances and ascents. Unfortunately I could not locate and campgrounds near Wisdom proper so I found one of two potential motels. Since I didn't have mobile reception in emailed Swatz to see if she could secure me a room. It was now time for breakfast!

Picturesque breakfast:

I was the first one seated and chose the table in front of the picture window overlooking the lake. The morning sun shimmered off the lake and I could see two hummingbirds enjoying a breakfast of their own. It was a perfect atmosphere for some buttermilk pancakes and OJ!

First 25 miles:

With my belly full I headed on down the road. The ride was really scenic as the road was essentially carved through the LOLO National Forest. You were surrounded by nature and all of her beauty. I was feeling particularly strong and had no issues with the 5 and 6 percent hills that came my way. In fact I never even left the top chain ring! Have I finally got my climbing legs back? I was in such a rhythm that I never stopped for my standard 15 mile break. Instead, I rolled into Seeley Lake.

Seeley lake:

Even though I wasn't hungry I decided to stop for ice cream and a Huckleberry lemonade. I happened to check for mobile coverage and viola! I was connected! I called Swatz, checked some emails and relaxed on the outdoor sofa in front of the shop.

The rest of the ride:

Continuing south on 83 the scenery suddenly changed from forest to plains. It was brutally boring. To ease the eye pain I motored the 15 miles to the mt206 junction as fast as possible. At the intersection there was a fueling station/store. Again I wasn't hungry but I forced myself to eat some trail mix and drink some Gatorade. Outside I met three other touring cyclists from Europe. It was a Spanish guy and two French woman. They too were heading to Missoula but they came from the east while I came from the north. It was tough having a conversation as the language barrier was too strong. After a few minutes I decided it was time to hit the road and finish the last 38 miles.

Missoula:

I had one 5 percent hills to climb before reaching the town of Missoula. After 77 miles I was quite relieved the riding portion of the day was nearly over. I officially rolled in at 3:15pm. Instead of checking in at my hotel I decided to head over to Adventure Cycling Association to get your picture taken and put on the wall. For those not in the know about ACA here is a link to there Web site: Adventure Cycle Association. Because I cycled in they gave me a free 1 year membership! How cool. Speaking of cool they also give out free ice cream! Woohoo! She took my picture and I am now officially on the wall with all the other cyclists who have visited. It will eventually be posted at their website Site but I'll include the photo here.

Dinner:

After checking get in at the hotel and relaxing til 6pm I decided it was time for dinner. The helpful staff at Motel 6 recommended this Mexican place called El Cazador. I downed two bowls of chips and salsa and had a fajita-like meal. The portion was huge but I somehow managed to fit it all inside. I was stuffed! After dinner I decided to walk the streets of Missoula. It is a quaint town with little shops and restaurants. After 25 minutes I returned to the hotel to relax, write this post (sorry it's short) and watch a little TV as I'm pretty pooped. With all the great scenery and cool people I've met this past week I haven't really missed watching the tube at all... :)

Surprised:

My Shonu sent me a card! It was waiting at the hotel reception desk. How sweet! I really am the luckiest guy in the world! Love you Shons!










2 comments:

  1. Better to be smart - gravel is tough even to drive on in a car, forget riding with human power! And happy that you're not doing the boring part of the ride to SLC. Now... just to sneak the bike onto the train... ;)
    Coffee again - yay for you! Nice view too - let's put in a pond in the backyard so we can enjoy breakfast like that everyday. ;)
    Glad your bike ride was good - even though it was a long riding day! And Adventure Cyclist = you, so they *better* put your pic up on the wall!!
    Wooot - the card reached in time. :) Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these route changes! neil would never make such rookie mistakes.

    ReplyDelete