Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 2: Unimaginable Beauty

Bike Distance Avg Speed Total Ascent Saddle Time Calories
64.98 miles 11.1 mph 4862 ft 00:05:50 4194 cal

Happy 7th anniversary Shonu! Best years of my life! I love you more and more each day! :)

Well rested:

I once again woke up before my phone could do the honor. I prepared most everything the night before so I didn't have to rush around. I made some hotel coffee and looked over today's agenda.

Today would be the first of two of my biggest climbing days of the trip. One usually tries to put these at least a few days into the adventure to allow yourself to acclimate. For me, I didn't have much of a choice as this was the only route from the Amtrak station. It will be a grueling mental and physical grind for sure. I gulped down my last sip of coffee and headed out the door.

Early Climb:

I headed out of East Glacier and was immediately in the forest. It was magnificent to say the least. The scent of pine was in the brisk morning air and not a cloud in the sky. My first big climbing challenge was about 5 miles into the journey. It consisted of about 10 miles of 3 to 7 percent grades as I rose 2700 feet to an elevation of about 5200 feet. It was a tough climb but the breath taking scenery kept my spirits up. I reached the summit and enjoyed a much deserved downhill into Saint Mary.

Lunch Break:

My turnoff to Going to the Sun road was ahead and fortunately there were several places to stop for lunch. It was high noon so the timing was perfect! I pulled into a gas station/gift shop and decided to purchase a cherry slushy. I walked over to a deli for a sandwich but could not bring myself to pay $12 for one. Crazy! Instead, I found a nice area to sit and enjoyed some of the delicious banana bread with my slushy. I was on the road again by 12:30.

Logan Pass:

Within a matter of minutes I was at the Park entrance. There were two lines each with about 5 cars queued up. I waited my turn, paid the $12 fee and continued on my way. Judging by all the cars I knew the road was going to be crowded.

The next 15 miles to Logan Pass were perhaps the most difficult miles I have ever done. Period. It immediately started at 6 percent and it never let up. The first 10 nearly wiped me out. I pulled over to strategize. My plan was to ride 1 mile and rest and continue this until I reached the summit 6 miles ahead. About 1/4 mile in the grade went 7 percent! This mountain was really making it tough on me. I was averaging around 5 MPH! During each scenic rest stop I was jawed dropped at how awesome this place was. After a few minutes of gawking I would get back on the bike a do another mile. It was a challenge to even get the bike started as the slope was so steep. Several people cheered me on either from the side of the road or as they passed in their cars. It was pretty awesome and just what I needed. After 5 grueling miles I could see the Logan Pass visitor center up ahead. I pulled over for my final break. I was honestly questioning if I could do it. My legs and stomach were cramping a little and I had no appetite. I forced my self to eat and massaged the quads calves. I got back on and made the final push. I was in the lowest gear possible, head down and constantly pedaling I kept telling myself "don't let this mountain defeat you! " . "I. will. make. this." . At about 3:45 PM as I approached the entrance of the visitor center a wave of emotions flowed through my brain. I was so relieved that I didn't let my mind convince me that I couldn't do it. I climbed to Logan Pass! Yessss!

While at the visitor center looking for water I was immediately approach by a couple "Peter" and "Amy". They started at St Mary and made the same climb. They thought I was crazy for starting in East Glacier (30 miles further out) . I agreed! Turns out they too were heading to Avalanche campground. We agreed to look for each other at the campground later that day.

The downhill:

One of the perks of climbing this big mountain is the reward of the downhill at the other side. The next 12 miles would all be at a negative 6 percent grades and through the most beautiful scenery I have ever laid eyes on. It was really nice to not have to pedal and just let gravity do its thing. I must have pulled off a dozen times to snap photographs. I wasn't sure if I was still emotional from the climb up but seeing the mountains and valleys was also an emotional experience I will never forget. I only wish Swatz was here with me. We are definitely coming back here so we can experience this together.

Part of the Rising to the Sun road is under construction. Essentially they would alternate traffic. Traffic from the north would come up while traffic from the south would queue up and wait. Then, it would flip around. As I approached there was a log line of cars but the opposite direction was completely empty. The flag lady waved me on to the front of the line. How sweet! Unfortunately, the traffic from the north was followed by a truck spraying the unfinished gravel road with water to keep the dust down. Needless to say much of my bike, trailer and myself were coated with mud by the time we completed the 2 mile construction zone. Yuk!

Camp:

The last 4 miles into camp were pretty flat and I averaged 19MPH. 1 percent grades are for sissies! :) I rolled into the hiker biker section of the campground and saw 2 tents to my left three girls sitting at the picnic table playing cards. To my right was a guy passed out inside his tent. Much to my surprise it was Jamieson! I said hello to the ladies and then to Jamieson. He muttered a few words but was clearly out of it. I let the poor guy sleep.

The three girls are from Chicago! What a small world! They have been at Avalanche since Saturday and leave on the 8th. They are hikers so they have been catching the free shuttle to various trails within Glacier. Almost forgot. They are all White Sox fans and were elated when they saw my sox hat! Aren't most woman Cubs fans? Guess not!

I pitched my tent, used the restroom and as I turn the corner to the hiker biker section I see Peter sitting at my picnic table. They made it! They pitched their tent and the three of us had dinner together. They are recently married and doing this tour as their honeymoon. Peter has 2 kids, twelve and fourteen from a previous marriage while Amy has 3, thirteen, fifteen and eighteen. They met on Craigs list and immediately hit it off! Who knew! Since I was a cyclist I managed to score some free firewood from camp host. Eventually Jamieson woke from his stupor and we finished the evening chatting around a nice campfire.

All around an awesome day. :)
















5 comments:

  1. DK- sounds amazing. I am so glad you are enjoying yourself and I am so proud of you to conquer that hill. If anyone can do it - it is you! It is so cool how you are meeting different people - a great journey that I am sure you won't forget. Looking forward to your next blog entry. Happy Anniversary to you and Swati! (Belated)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft, I bet Moki Dugway and maybe Colorado NM were at least as hard as Logan Pass! Not quite as long, but a good bit steeper. Maybe you're just getting old. :-) Unless of course you *actually* did 15 miles of 6% as you wrote, but then it's time to blame Garmin for taking you on some crazy-ass detour! Ok, but seriously, nice work, especially for your first day out! I just realized with your bigger wheels, maybe your lowest gear isn't as low as it was on your other rig?

    Remember there's usually no "my" in "picnic table" at those communal hiker/biker sites! Though it sounds like you've done well at finding cool people to share with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Happy Anniversary to my Shonu too!!! You're pretty awesome and I couldn't imagine life without you. :) I too love you more and more every day. :)
    I remember you talking about how the climbs *might* be easier on your old mountain bike, and reading Neil's words, it makes sense - especially since you're even more active now with your swimming and hockey.
    I'm sure it was beautiful, but I can't imagine how tough it must've been to start riding out with this big climb already!
    <3 you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, oooh, and the Continental Divide!! Yay!! The trans-continental divide at Ridgeland says Hi to its bigger cousin. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. No big hills in Florida. I thought that I had explained this to you.

    ReplyDelete